After spending the past week with family and friends (as I hope all of you were able to), we’ll soon be back at work facing a brand new year ahead. As we head out of the holidays, many of us will make resolutions for 2008. Whether losing a few pounds, being home a bit earlier for dinner, spending more time with the family or whatever promises we make to ourselves and others, we should also consider the “professional” resolutions for ourselves and our businesses.
For those of us involved in the digital space it is a great time to think about the year ahead as there are so many fantastic and easily identifiable ways to become more successful at what we do. So, picking a few digital marketing resolutions might make a lot of sense as we can imagine a clean slate with which to work when we return to the office. These kinds of resolutions will make you feel less guilty than joining a gym knowing you’ll only go a few times and, it is much easier than promising to pick up your clothes from the floor (a resolution I have broken every year since I was 8 within the first few days of the new year).
What are your digital marketing resolutions for the New Year? Here are a few to get you thinking:
- Are you pledging participate more actively in online communities, if so where and how often?
- Will you strive to create a more usable web experience for your visitors?
- Will you integrate data for enhanced personalization, or perhaps develop personas?
- Will it be to establish better eCommerce or shopping functionality on your site and measurably increase conversion?
- Could it be a revitalization of your email campaigns and do more A/B testing to improve results?
- Will you dedicate a portion of your budget to test and experiment with new media channels and applications? How about rethinking ways to use traditional channels in concert with digital?
- What about video? How will you take advantage of the ubiquitous nature of broadband today to enhance your online experience?
- Will you commit to build stronger consumer connections by opening up a real dialog, perhaps by way of blog, podcast or entry into a social network?
- Is it to provide unique content, superior service or some sort of “WOW” factor that people will talk about?
- Is it to be more effective and relevant in search?
- Will you do a bang up job measuring your efforts and applying web analytics to consistently improve your efforts?
- Will you resolve to become an agent of change in your organization and lead your brand into these areas?
I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you resolve to do better in digital in 2008. Leave a comment or call into The Client Side podcast and leave an audio comment – 1 206 666 2242. Perhaps your resolution is to call in and leave an audio comment every month for the podcast – I’d like to hear more resolutions like that! : )